By Samuel Tongue
In among Biblical feedback and Poetic Rewriting, Samuel Tongue deals an account of the cultured and demanding tensions inherent within the improvement of the better feedback of the Bible. diversified ‘types’ of Bible are created during the highbrow and literary pressures of Enlightenment and Romanticism and, as Tongue indicates, it really is this legacy that keeps to orientate the ways deemed valid in biblical scholarship.
Using a few historic and modern serious and poetic rewritings of Jacob’s fight with the ‘angel’ (Gen 32:22-32), Tongue uses postmodern theories of textual construction to argue that it's the ‘paragesis’, a parasitical kind of writing among disciplines, that top foregrounds the complicated performativity of biblical interpretation.
Read Online or Download Between Biblical Criticism and Poetic Rewriting: Interpretative Struggles over Genesis 32:22-32 PDF
Best old testament books
As a pastor i locate myself turning to this quantity usually whilst within the Psalms. Kraus reports the Psalter thematically, that's a section tiresome while learning a unmarried Psalm, yet still, so priceless in his grouping jointly of ideas, phrases, words, and so forth. even supposing there floor periodically (but now not usually) touches of historicial-critical technique and findings, this quantity represents a number of the most interesting theology paintings at the OT Hymnal.
This selection of essays examines the respective spiritual and social features of kings and prophets as they're provided within the biblical narratives. Biblical kingship is definitely proven to be a selected example of an historical and common institution--sacred monarchy--that used to be the pivot of such a lot country businesses all through antiquity; prophetic authority is defined as a regular establishment of historical Hebrew society.
On account that antiquity, the 5 books of Moses have served as a sacred structure, foundational for either Jews and Samaritans. besides the fact that lengthy the method of accepting the Pentateuch as authoritative tôrâ ("instruction") took, this used to be by means of all bills a enormous success within the background of those peoples and certainly a massive second within the background of the traditional international.
- Genesis 1 - 11 (Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture: Old Testament, Volume 1)
- Re-Reading the Scriptures: Essays on the Literary History of the Old Testament (Forschungen zum Alten Testament, Volume 87)
- Ancient Hebrew Periodization and the Language of the Book of Jeremiah: The Case for a Sixth-Century Date of Composition
- Early Israel: Anthropological and Historical Studies on the Israelite Society Before the Monarchy
Extra info for Between Biblical Criticism and Poetic Rewriting: Interpretative Struggles over Genesis 32:22-32
67 In many ways, this desire is akin to the historicalcritical method of constructing a ‘sitz im leben’, a situation in life, in order to trace and place the sources of a given biblical text. As Stephen Prickett notes, placing Lowth as a wellspring for both tendencies, “for some, there is an inherent paradox that the century that saw the advent of the Higher Criticism of the Bible, and the consequent questioning of both its historicity and its veracity, was also the century that saw it rise to new heights as an aesthetic model.
On the other side, though, this very inoculation meant that textual critics were free to dismiss theologians anxious to preserve intact the essential Christian truths. No longer did theology have any bearing on the enterprise of philology. 49 This idea of ‘Bible’ had an authority built, not upon theology or Church doctrine, but on textual scholarship. Historical-philological scholarship as a way of guarding against pre-critical or overly tendentious readings (whether sceptical or ‘faithful’, confessional or non-confessional) is a continuing theme that defines modern scholarship on ‘Bible’.
7. 49 Sheehan, The Enlightenment Bible: Translation, Scholarship, Culture, p. 115. 30 Chapter 1 sense—what these scholars had begun was the founding of a distinctive and often rival sense of critical authority. However, it is in Germany that we see some material Bibles produced that serve as excellent examples of how ideal types of Bible are moulded by the influences of the time. Pietism and the Enlightenment. Both grew out of the bourgeoisie and shaped it; both were interested in the self, its illumination, and liberation.